In part I of this blog series we spoke about Continuous Testing (CT), CI CD and that Test Automation is a key to its success, how to leverage test automation to enable coverage and speed. Let’s get an in-depth understanding of why it’s essential.
Why Automation of Testing is Essential for CI CD
Code analysis tools, API testing tools, API contract testing tools, Service virtualization tools, performance assessment tools, and end-to-end automation tools are all parts of CT. However, test automation is one of the key enablers of CT as:
- It allows us to execute tests in parallel, across multiple servers/containers, speeding up the testing process.
- It frees engineers from repetitive tasks, enabling them to focus on value-adds.
- It helps validate the impact of even minor changes continuously.
Characteristics of a Good Automation Framework
For test automation to be effective, it must be supported by efficient frameworks. The frameworks provide a structure and help integrate and realize the efforts of a distributed team.
- Test frameworks must support various languages, browsers, and techniques to make them future-proof. They must possess an Agile testing environment to support the continuous delivery pipeline.
- The testing platform must be scalable to support as many tests as needed.
- The platform must support compatibility tests on simulated devices to cut down the cycle.
- The environment should maximize automation, i.e., trigger tests, analyze results, and share test information across the organization, in a fully automated manner.
- The testing platform must include security features such as encryption of test data and access control policies
Characteristics of Trigent’s AutoMate Test Automation Framework
Reinforced by globally renowned partners, Trigent’s testing focus is aligned with the current business environment and offers cost benefits, performance, and agility.
As niche test automation experts, we have significant experience in open source and commercial testing tools. Our extensive library of modular, reusable, and resilient frameworks simplifies scenario-based automation. We provide on-demand testing and next-gen scheduling.
Features and benefits
- Accelerated script development: Script/test cases development effort reduced up to 60-80% in comparison to traditional test automation approaches. Reduces Test Scripting Complexity.
- Modular and reusable framework components: Reduced dependency on tool-specific resources. Ability to kick-start automation quickly. It supports reusable components. Reduced Test Automation maintenance costs. Allows multi-browser, multi-device testing.
- Easy test script maintenance: Ease of test execution. Easy to make changes and maintain scripts in the long run. Improved error and exception handling. Supports multiple scripting languages.
- On-demand Testing: Sanity, Smoke, Integration, Regression, etc. Provides effective test data creation on the go.
- Hybrid Model: Modular test framework built using JUnit or TestNG. Integrates with multiple test automation tools. Allows a common way of handling multiple test types.
- Scheduling and customized reporting: Send test results to ALM. Integrates with Test Management tools to track your test plans effectively.
- Leverages new tech trends: Leverages AI/ML utilities & tools that allow for effective Test Impact analysis and test selection. Integrates with CI/CD tools to enable automated executions. Allows parallel executions to reduce test execution time
Learn more about Trigent software testing services or test automation services