In recent years, test automation has become increasingly important in software development. The automated test helps to ensure that software functions correctly and meets stakeholders’ requirements. However, creating automated tests can be time-consuming and often requires technical expertise in coding. That’s where codeless test automation comes in.
Codeless test automation eliminates creating and maintaining automation scripts from scratch. We observed that more than 40% of failed automation attempts were due to scripting issues that ultimately made barriers to achieving continuous testing.
Codeless test automation is a type of test automation that doesn’t require any coding skills. Instead, it uses a visual interface to create test scripts. This approach allows testers and other stakeholders to create automated tests without knowing how to write code.
Future Scope of Codeless Automation
According to Future Market Insights (FMI) projects, codeless testing demand is to increase at 15.5% CAGR, while API application testing is relatively faster, growing at 18.6% by 2031. The rapid growth towards codeless testing in the future is due to easy evaluation of code and reduction of time spent on recurring test cases. The codeless testing tools provide a hassle-free process that uses object, data, model, and keyword methods to formulate tests. The scripted testing tools help foster user business testing with user-friendly interfaces that are easily comprehended.
Next-generation technologies like Artificial intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and Machine Learning as Services are the most influential factors of codeless automation testing. AI and ML are used in different testing types, including functional and performance, regression, and automation. AI reduces the test life cycle, and AI & ML increases software testing companies’ return on investment (ROI).
The Benefits of Codeless Test Automation
Codeless Test Automation is the next area of focus for Agile and DevOps teams. No-Code Test Automation connects business users with test teams to meet today’s test automation challenges. As a result, testing becomes an essential part of the entire SDLC. Code-free testing systems enable users and businesses to meet several stringent requirements for scalability, speed, collaboration, quality, and security, freeing up team time to focus on product innovation. Codeless automation has the following benefits:
- Involvement of business profiles
- Minimize time wastage
- Rapid response to business requirements
- Ease up resources for improved testing
- Shorter development cycle
- Reducing dependency
- Enhanced adoption with shared automation setup
- Eliminating delayed development
- Supporting digital transformation
- Extended automation scope
- Uncomplicated maintenance
In the world of test automation, organizational leaderships focus on tools and frameworks that require little or no code. Codeless automation is another popular way to describe these solutions. By reducing the time spent coding manual testing, codeless automation frees time for testers and developers to focus on product development and innovation.
Top 5 Tools for Codeless Test Automation
According to a recent Gartner report, 70% of all applications will use codeless automation tools by 2025. Codeless automation tools allow users to create and execute tests without coding experience. Even though testers do not need to know how to code, they leverage specialized tools to help develop the proper test scripts. Codeless testing still requires testers to understand software testing and product development insight.
The following tools offer a codeless approach to the test automation journey.
Rapise is a next-generation test automation tool with an extensible architecture. This open-source tool supports applications like web, desktop, mobile, and APIs. The tool has record-and-playback functionality along with editing capabilities. It lets testers record, edit, and execute tests with an easy-to-use spreadsheet-based editor. Rapise also has artificial intelligence-based testing technologies that self-heal the objects on change.
- Powerful recording and playback functionality
- Easy to use for domain users and testers to create automated tests
- Extensive support to automate web, mobile, desktop, and hybrid applications
- Perfect script-less testing solution with proprietary visual language – Rapise Visual Language (RVL)
- Automated and Intelligent Test Validation
- Powerful, customized, and advanced reporting capabilities
- Robust Automation with optical recognition, drag-and-drop IDE, and Self-healing capabilities
AccelQ is an Artificial Intelligence (AI) powered codeless automated testing tool which can speed up the testing cycle. It can automate desktops, the web, mainframes, and other apps with minimal effort and time. Its capabilities, like Self-Healing and Natural English Coding, draw the special attention of testing and Agile teams. AccelQ’s simple and fast-to-develop UI provides a codeless and smooth experience for business users and domain specialists. It is an instant hit to organizations as it has features like Natural Language Programming, Intelligent Element Explorer, Extendible & Open Source Alignment, and Automated Test Generation.
- Faster development and minimum maintenance with embedded frameworks
- Maximize test coverage with User Interface (UI) Model and Data flows
- Capacity to automate UI and API with ease and in a similar flow
- Generates Application blueprint for better visual test designs
- Continuous integration-ready and enables in-spring automation
- Highly scalable and secure for enterprise practice
Testim is an AI-based testing platform. Due to fast-paced releases, changes in UI, and other factors, the application could be more stable most of the time. Testim solves these two most pressing testing challenges, slow authoring and unstable tests. Testim uses machine learning capabilities to test, execute and maintain them. This significantly reduces the time needed to develop and run a parallel test for thousands of tests. Testim integrates with existing CI/CD and collaboration tools, allowing teams to scale testing with their existing tool stack quickly.
- Intelligent and Dynamic locators to generate tests automatically
- Visual test editors for test creation
- Supports test authoring in three ways–Testim Extension, Coding in IDE, and Record test to export and then change
- Seamless integration with CI/CD tools
- Exhaustive test reports and bug checkers for overall test analysis
- Detailed analysis of failed tests and root-cause analysis for speedy remediation
4. Katalon Studio
Katalon Studio is popular among the best no-code automated testing tools because it offers many web, API, desktop, and mobile application testing capabilities. It is easy for beginners and experienced testers, with a user-friendly interface for testing experts and business users. Record and playback functions and drag & drop commands make it a proper no-code test automation tool. Testers can import external test libraries and let the tool execute, avoiding the need to build the framework from scratch.
- Requires minimal programming skills and supports powerful recording and playback features.
- Supports API, web, desktop, and mobile automation testing.
- Supports MacOS, Windows, and Linux operating systems.
- It has built-in test-case libraries, project templates, object repositories, and keywords.
- Supports in-built integrations like Issue Management, Notifications & Communication, and Test Management.
- Capable of locating modifications in the object and creating tests consequently.
- Supports native plugins for the popular Continuous Integration (CI) tools.
- Supports advanced Business-Driven Development features.
- Comprehensive and robust reporting capacities.
5. Cloud QA
Cloud QA is a robust cloud-based unified codeless test automation platform. It has an integrated reporting tool that provides an integrated end-to-end testing experience. This will help in creating test suites and scheduling regression testing quickly. The inbuilt reporting tools rapidly create and design regression testing suites and can develop, build, maintain, and execute tests. CloudQA integrates with multiple third-party applications, which makes building test cases more manageable. Plus, your web page performance is constantly monitored at a fraction of the cost.
- Runs on a cloud infrastructure with minimal installation time and effort.
- An end-to-end platform for test creation, editing, maintenance, and even allowing the reuse of testing components.
- Robust testing features with smart locators and the ability to run thousands of tests parallely.
- Seamless integration with popular Bug Tracking, CI/CD, ALM, Version Control, and other tools.
- Built on top of Selenium, a leader in a portable framework for testing web applications.
- Cloud QA supports a wide range of frameworks and web applications.
- Recommended as the price-performance leader with consumption-based pricing, low infrastructure, and personnel requirements.
Codeless test automation tools are becoming increasingly popular among testers and developers due to their ease of use, flexibility, and affordability. With a wide range of efficient features and capabilities, these tools provide a comprehensive solution for automated testing, helping teams to streamline their testing processes and improve the quality of their applications.
Challenges Associated with Codeless Test Automation
Of course, there are some challenges or limitations associated with codeless test automation.
- Visual interfaces can be limiting.
- Testing is less flexible as it is not customized via coding.
- Codeless test automation tools are not universal.
- Testers may find difficulty in creating certain types of test cases or scenarios.
- Not suitable for large-scale projects or mission-critical enterprise applications.
Even though the above challenges are associated with codeless test automation, the benefits make it an approach worth considering for software development teams.
Finding the ideal test automation solution can be difficult. However, correctly understanding the testers’ process requirements, language, goals, and skills can make the task more manageable. Trigent offers various engagement models and the latest technologies, including Codeless Test Automation tools such as Rapise, AccelQ, Testim, Katalon Studio, Cloud QA, and many others. This helps our customers complete test programs on budget and time and deliver high-quality applications. Because of the vast benefits of codeless automation, companies need to move faster and use these technologies in their agile development workflow to achieve better product quality.
Leverage codeless automation expertise and roll out high-quality applications faster. Call Us Now